Glen Echo Fire Department currently admits up to four junior member applicants each year who are age 16 or 17. We accept up to two junior members in May and we accept up to two junior members December. Please see the chart on the application page for application deadlines.
We require junior members to demonstrate exceptional
- independence and ability to function without assistance from their parents
- leadership potential
This means that we expect junior members to be nearly equal in emotional intelligence to the adult peers with whom they will be working side-by-side.
In terms of time commitment:
- junior members should be prepared to make their participation at the fire house among their highest priorities in terms of extra-curricular activities
- we expect that junior members will be able to remain members for several years after they turn 18 — please note that this means that we do not accept junior membership applications from individuals who plan to attend college outside of the Washington, DC area
- Glen Echo Fire Department’s policy is not to allow junior members to serve at the firehouse on school nights, so junior members must be available for firehouse activities at some point between Friday afternoon and Sunday evening
If you think you might like to apply as a junior member, please let us hear from you via the application page of our website, and someone will respond with information about our junior membership opportunities and the additional application components such as:
- interviews with a junior membership applicant’s parents
- GPA minimums